Sunday, February 10, 2008

Cooking under Pressure! What is this blog?

What the heck is "Cooking under Pressure"? This blog is my space to share with my family, friends, and others recipes I have developed or adapted for my Wolfgang Puck Electric Pressure cooker. These recipes will hopefully work with any electric pressure cooker. My sister-in-law, Ann, sang the praises of this nifty kitchen appliance, and I bought one on Overstock.com the next day! She bought hers at HSN--prices are close to the same.

I am going to share my recipes and experiences using this cooker. I absolutely love it! It makes preparing dinner quick and easy--what we both like about this appliance is that you can put your food in it, set it up, and walk away. I can then perform the 1000s of other chores I need to do while dinner cooks. Yes, sometimes my recipes may be a bit overcooked for some folks--readers of this blog will have to do lots of taste testing of my recipes and adapt them according to your own tastes.

Warning--I am not usually the kind of cook who measures. For this blog, I am trying to measure, but, I don't always remember to do that. I invite other users to share their recipes and successes with electric pressure cookers as well! The manuals that come with these things give you limited recipes--that is another reason I decided to start this blog--to fill this niche.

Here is a link to the pressure cooker I purchased:
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Wolfgang-Puck-5-quart-Electric-Pressure-Cooker/2596121/product.html

Reasons it is my new favorite kitchen appliance:

1. It does not heat up my kitchen like my stovetop and oven does. It does produce steam that it releases, but I am cool with that. I may even use it outside at the beach cottage this summer.

2. It is great for one pot cooking--and therefore, quick cleanup. It is non-stick, and so easy to clean.

3. It makes me stick to my food budget. How? On those nights I am too tired to cook (I work full-time), I can throw in stuff (even frozen), and have a great dinner while I either site and veg out or multi-task and clean the house, do laundry, etc., etc.

4. It makes inexpensive cuts of meat delicious!

5. It makes great rice.

6. It makes a great pot of soup or quick stock.

7. You can make really tender collards in it (but they still stink up the house).

I'll probably add to this later!

Now, on to recipes!

No comments: